Post a Message
Change Profile

Last Day
Last Week
Tree View

Search Board
Keyword Search
By Date


Getting Started
Program Credits

Best Coupons
Freebie Newsletter!
Coupons & Free Stuff


My dog might have Cushing's Disease

Moms View Message Board: General Discussion: Archive October 2006: My dog might have Cushing's Disease
By Boxzgrl on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 01:07 pm:

I took her in for her bi-annual bloodwork since she's on medication to control her seizures. Some things in her bloodwork were considered "off the charts" high so we had to go back in for an ACTH stim test. She has been drinking and urinating more and has a pretty bad bladder infection we need to treat once her culture comes back... all which are signs of Cushing's. I'm trying to keep my hopes high but I really do think when the test results come back Tuesday that's what it will say. :( Anyone have experience with this?

By Marcia on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 01:14 pm:

I have a feeling my dog might have it, too, since we can't get rid of all of her symptoms no matter what we try!
My mom's dog had Cushings, and lived to be about 13 or 14. She was on meds, but otherwise fine.

By Colette on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 01:48 pm:

My aunt's dog has it. It took a while to get the meds right, and she lost most of her fur, but they finally did get the dosage right and she's fine now.

By Annie2 on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:48 am:

Our 14 year old dog had this last year. We tried to treat her with meds, but she didn't respond to the treatment. We took her off of them. They were too expensive to keep giving to her; without her showing signs of improvement. She started out taking one $4.00 pill a week and for several weeks she was taking up to three. Plus we had to take into account her bloodwork.
She did pass away last spring but from old age, not necessarily from Cushing's. Our vet did tell us that once an older dog is diagnosed with Cushing's, their prognosis isn't much longer than two years.
Some does respond tremendously to treatment. Ours just wasn't one of them. :(
Keep us posted!

By Boxzgrl on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 02:46 pm:

Well to my surprise her test came back NEGATIVE! That's the good news. The bad news: More than likely her phenobarbitol is affecting her liver. Which means a few things but the sad part is that in the end it probably means a shorter life span. Her phenobarb blood levels came back in the low/normal range so we can't even lower her dose without her starting to have seizures again. Without the medication she has cluster seizures which in the end, not being treated would probably leave her brain dead. Sigh.... Damned if you do, damned if you dont. :( Her main vet wasn't in when the results came in so i'm sure he'll call me too. I kinda like him better anyways and he may have suggestions for how to go about working with this problem.

By Jackie on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 02:49 pm:

I am sorry you are going through this with your dog. I love dogs, and it is so hard when they become sick. The hardest thing is that they cant tell us what is wrong with them. I know you will do the very best for you dog.

By Dandjmom on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 03:13 pm:

I'm sorry your going through this right now, I will say a prayer for him/her and your family

I was surprised to read that they give a dog the same medication for seizures as they do humans.

By Marcia on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 07:01 pm:

Anticonvulsants can become toxic, so it's a good idea to keep a close eye on her blood levels. The vet might suggest changing meds for that reason.
My mom's dog lost her life because her mysoline, another anticonvulsant, became toxic. The same thing happens to people when taking these drugs, but people have constant blood draws to watch the levels.

By Ginny~moderator on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 09:25 pm:

Oh, Melissa, I am so sorry. I think Marcia is right - keep an eye on the blood levels and talk to your vet about changing medications.

But, in the end, you will probably be faced with the same decision all of us face with aging dogs - balancing quality of life versus length of life. That is always such a hard place to be, but I know you will keep your beloved pet's best interests in your heart when you are forced to make decisions.

By Bobbie~moderatr on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 09:32 pm:

Big hugs Melissa...

By Nicki on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 10:15 pm:

I'm sorry, Melissa. I hope your vet will have some suggestions for you. I'm so glad the test for Cushing's came back negative.

By Boxzgrl on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 11:22 am:


I had to take her back in yesterday. She was completely lethargic. Her glucose level was 35. Normal range is 80-140. She is very hypoglycemic. They don't think her liver is breaking down sugars like it should. She is currently hospitalized and has 2 test results coming back today and one coming back tomorrow. Hopefully i'll get some answers, although I don't think i'm prepared for the results. Everybody is worried about her. (They know her since I worked there.) I have a feeling the results aren't going to be good.

By Jewlz on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 01:53 pm:

big huggz for ur dog and ur family. its never easy to go thru things like this. ur in my prayers.

By Hol on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 03:08 pm:

(((HUGS))) to you and your family, including your doggy. Please keep us posted on the lab results. You are in our prayers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. Register to post a message
Post as "Anonymous"