Moms View Message Board: General Discussion: Archive April 2006:
I love fresh mushrooms! But one thing I've never really been sure of is when to toss them out. Consequently, I tend to throw them away as soon as they get a spot on them (and definitely when they become, er, "slimy"). Is there any hard and fast rule? Is it OK to still use them if they have a few spots?
It is important to conserve just the right amount of moisture when storing mushrooms. If left completely uncovered, they will dry out; if enclosed in moisture-proof wrapping, they will become soggy and begin to decay. A good compromise is to place mushrooms purchased in bulk in a loosely closed paper bag or in a shallow glass dish covered with a kitchen towel or a lightly moistened paper towel. Leave prepackaged mushrooms in their unopened package. Don't wash or trim mushrooms before storing them.
Keep mushrooms on the refrigerator shelf--not in the refrigerator crisper, which tends to be humid--for no more than a few days. Unopened, prepackaged mushrooms will stay for up to a week. If mushrooms begin to darken (and their caps open) with age, they can still be used for cooking and flavoring foods.