Wet cellphone.. help...
Moms View Message Board: General Discussion: Wet cellphone.. help...
Okay Alexis left her cell in her locker today at school and when she went to get it from her locker she found condensation on it. Well now it is doing crazy stuff and wont' work.. I think there may be water in it. Does anyone know a way to make sure it is dry or dry it faster than letting it sit out? She is frantic that she needs her phone.
The only thing I know to try is to take the battery off and let it sit for a few days. I have heard some say they work again and others say they died.
Put it in a bowl of rice. The rice will absorb the condensation. This from my phone experts at work.
Take the battery out, and place it in a bowl of rice, like Tayjar said, or in a pan of clay kitty litter (I've found it works faster). It still may take a day or so, but it works better than just letting it sit out. This worked for a lot of my customers when I worked for ATT and Sprint. Also, when you take the battery out, look at the back of the phone where the battery is... there should be a small, plain white sticker, usually a circle or square. If it is colored, you have water damage that voids the warranty, so if you need to replace it, you have to go through insurance, or buy it outright.
And also...leave it off! There is a good chance that turning on has short circuited it. You really need to let it dry out for at least 2 days before turing it back on.
Our phone got rained on for a couple of days and we were able to save it with the rice trick.
oh that stinks. I never would have thought to put it in rice or kitty litter. I will have to remember that. Let us know how it works out.
I'll have to remember the rice/kitty litter thing, the next time we get a wet cellphone. We put ours through the washing machine and it never worked again.
I will have to remember the rice also...Mine fell in the toilet and never worked again!
I put mine in a tupperware container with kitty litter after I dropped it in water. Leave it in there for a few days. My phone did work for a while later but then stopped working.
I sent it back to the company. If they detected water damage they would not have replaced. No water damage was detected. There is a circle behind the battery and I guess if it turns a certain color, they know.
However, last week I washed my cell phone, full cycle, in the pocket of my jeans. I know it had way too much water damage so I didn't even try to return it.
Annie, you're right, there is one on the back, and there is usually an indicator inside the phone too, where you can't see it unless you took the phone apart. You lucked out with yours! The dangerous part about sending it in if there is suspected water damage is most companies will charge you to replace it if they find water damage, rather then send it back. I can't tell you how many escalated calls I took for that reason!