AutoZone, a nationally known auto parts business headquartered in Memphis, Tennessee, was founded by J. R. “Pitt” Hyde III in 1979. Hyde developed AutoZone as a division of Malone & Hyde, Inc., a Memphis-based wholesale grocery firm founded by his grandfather, J. R. Hyde, and Taylor Malone in 1907. Hyde was president of Malone & Hyde when he began to diversify the wholesale grocery business with the auto parts stores. He started running the company at the age of twenty-six, when his father became ill in 1968.
At AutoZone, the customer always comes first. So, as our way of saying, "Thanks for shopping AutoZone," we have developed AutoZone Rewards.
The auto parts stores began under the name of Auto Shack with an aim to sell an assortment of auto parts and accessories. The goal of the company was to provide a store that provided more self-service than the traditional auto parts shop, with wide aisles, bright lighting, and uniformed workers.
In 1987, as a result of an infringement suit by Radio Shack, Auto Shack changed its name to AutoZone.