Change Profile

Last Day
Last Week
Tree View

Search Board
Keyword Search
By Date


Getting Started
Program Credits

Best Coupons
Freebie Newsletter!
Coupons & Free Stuff


MOST DANGEROUS TOYS - Small magnets, small parts, loud noises

Moms View Message Board: General Discussion: Archive November 2006: MOST DANGEROUS TOYS - Small magnets, small parts, loud noises
By Ginny~moderator on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 12:29 pm:

Here's a link to Pennsylvania Public Interest Advocates, listing the most dangerous things to watch for when buying toys: Dangerous Toys

Toys with small magnets built in appear to be especially dangerous. The magnets are very powerful and if a magnet-containing piece is broken or the magnet falls out and is swallowed, it can cause serious problems. There were a couple of fatalities last year and I remember reading of one little boy who had to have surgery because he had swallowed two of the magnets, and they caused parts of his intestines to get twisted and blocked because they are so powerful and pulled to each other. Some jewelry sets also have these small magnets. (Seems to me these would also pose a hazard to animals, especially dogs, as many dogs tend to grab whatever drops on the floor and think about it later - if dogs think. I know ours doesn't.)

More and more, public interest groups are warning about loud toys, because of the danger of hearing loss. They recommend not buying loud toys or, if you feel you must buy them, covering the speakers with duct tape to cut the noise level.

Balloons are also very high on the list as posing a very serious choking hazard for young children (and potentially to animals).

By Ginny~moderator on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 12:31 pm:

Reading further in the article, there are also risks with jewelry containing high levels of lead, nail polish and polish remover in cosmetic kits, and soft plastic toys containing phthalate.

So much to worry about, so many things to watch out for. Almost takes the fun out of Christmas.

By Kate on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 01:05 pm:

Ginny, I can't quite tell from your post...are nail polish and remover supposedly containing high levels of lead, too?

By Jewlz on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 01:28 pm:


Some toys can pose hidden hazards, exposing children to dangerous chemicals that are linked to serious health problems. We found:

• Some children’s jewelry may contain high levels of lead, which can cause developmental delays or even death in children exposed to this heavy metal. We found four examples of jewelry on store shelves containing lead at levels ranging from 1.8% to 34% of the item’s weight. CPSC has recalled more than 150 million pieces of leadladen children’s jewelry since 2004, but CPSC needs to do more to keep this jewelry off the shelves in the first place by enacting and enforcing requirements for jewelry manufacturers, retailers, and suppliers to test their products for lead.

• Manufacturers are selling play cosmetic sets that include nail polish containing toxic chemicals, such as toluene and xylene. Since children often put their hands in their mouths, nail polish offers a direct route of exposure. CPSC should team up with the Food and Drug Administration to require manufacturers to stop using toxic chemicals in cosmetics marketed for children.

By Luvn29 on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 01:45 pm:

Some of the older Polly Pocket playsets are being recalled because of problems with the magnets...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Post as "Anonymous"